When Aaron and I go on our annual road trip to Texas, we usually decide to get off the map and explore something new whenever we’re road tripping. That way we’ve seen…
- the painted desert of Arizona
- shared a kiss at midnight under the St. Louis arch
- took a tour of “Fantastic Caverns” of Springfield, Missouri with a couple who had just lost their home in Louisiana to hurricane Katrina
- climbed the sandstone bluffs of the “El Morro National Monument” in Grants, New Mexico
- checked out the Mesalands Dinosaur Museum somewhere in Tucumcari.
- fulfilled my childhood dream of seeing the Winchester Mystery House.
- saw a real-life asteroid in a cheesy asteroid museum and walked in the crater it made.
So many inside jokes and wonderfully silly memories come from unexpected stops and detours. So often though, it’s been Aaron who has had to force me to go along with his detour ideas. I often get uncomfortable having new experiences and much prefer the safety of the familiar. But this year I’ll make it a point to go on an unplanned adventure with Aaron. We’re taking the long way again and there are tons of stuff we haven’t stopped to see. I promise to be much more open minded and agree to whatever crazy stuff Aaron asks us to do this year.
So, since I can’t partake in my adventure today, here are some of my favorite adventures from this past year…